From the Stage

Orange Pulse Dance Troupe gives back to local charity through dance performance

Cassandra Roshu | Photo Editor

Orange Pulse Dance Troupe's annual showcase --- "A Star is Born" features student-choreographed performances. This year's show raised money for A Tiny Home for Good, a nonprofit organization in Syracuse.

Syracuse University student dancers rehearsed all year for the Orange Pulse Dance Troupe’s annual showcase. Not only did they perform in front of their friends and family Saturday, but members of the organization also donated their proceeds to A Tiny Home For Good, a local charity fighting to end homelessness.

“To have all these dancers to work with and so many people who support our organization and our cause is so special,” SU junior and Orange Pulse president Catie Jorczak said. “Executive board members and dancers have worked so incredibly hard, and I think our audience could feel that during the showcase.”

Orange Pulse is an all-inclusive, non-auditioned dance organization at SU. Dancers spend the year practicing for their annual showcase and choose their level of commitment to the group. Every year, the organization chooses a local charity to fundraise for and all proceeds from their annual showcase go toward the charity.

This year’s show, titled “A Star Is Born,” benefitted A Tiny Home For Good. The nonprofit organization turns vacant lots and abandoned buildings into quality homes so homeless individuals and families can rent them at a price determined by each tenant’s circumstance.

“I think what makes this organization so special is that we give back so much,” SU sophomore and Orange Pulse Artistic Director Isabella Haberthur said. “Since we are philanthropic, we are dancing for a good cause and coming together as a group to support our community.”

Prior to the showcase, Orange Pulse held a number of fundraising events throughout the year to benefit A Tiny Home For Good. Both semesters, the organization put on “A Day of Dance,” where choreographers from their troupe joined with choreographers from other student dance organizations and SU dance professors, to teach master classes. Orange Pulse also organized a costume thrift and a bake sale, Social Media Chair and Vice President Kaitlyn Hulme said.

Cassandra Roshu | Photo Editor

Orange Pulse dancers perform “The Sirens of Hollywood,” choreographed by troupe president Catherine Jorczak. Jorczak was inspired by the idea that people in Hollywood will cross any boundary to get their big break in the industry, she said.

Through the showcase and the raffle, Orange Pulse raised more than $1,500 for A Tiny Home For Good. In addition to increasing awareness about a local cause, Haberthur said she wanted the audience to feel the sense of community that Orange Pulse fostered among its dancers.

On Saturday, members of Orange Pulse performed 12 student-choreographed routines including musical theater, hip-hop, contemporary, modern fusion and tap. The choreographers chose their songs based on their interpretation of this year’s theme.

“All of our choreographers took ‘A Star Is Born’ in different directions,” Hulme said. “Seeing it all come together into a cohesive show has been really special.”

During the fall semester, each of the 12 student choreographers hold weekly one-hour rehearsals for their individual dances. They rehearse short combinations which eventually lead into preparations for their showcase numbers, Jorczak said.

Orange Pulse members of all years and skill levels can attend as many sessions as they want. When it comes time for the showcase, students can decide if they want to perform one or multiple dances.

“We are such an open and welcoming organization, and I think that’s what appeals to a lot of people,” Jorczak said. “People can just come and dance because they love to dance. They don’t have to worry about their skills or their schedule. What brings us all together is our love of dance.”

Haberthur said this year’s showcase was special because it marked a period of significant growth. In the past year, the organization has doubled in size and now comprises almost 50 student dancers.

Orange Pulse members invited people from A Tiny Home For Good to attend the showcase, where a video about the organization’s mission and impact was shown to the audience. The event also included a raffle, which invited attendees to donate to the charity.

“The love that we have for each other is so genuine,” Haberthur said. “I hope the audience felt like they were a part of the family we created here because it truly is one of a kind.”