Club Sports

Sofia Pascual leads Syracuse’s club tennis team despite shaky play

Courtesy of Sofia Pascual

Sofia Pascual is a captain on SU's club tennis team.

Sofia Pascual prides herself on a team-first approach that sets the Syracuse club tennis team up for the future. The SU senior will not go down as a club tennis legend — she said she’s far from the best player on her team — but Pascual wants to lead Syracuse forward, knowing there will be a future without her soon.

Whether Pascual needs to pick up a pivotal point for her team or spend an entire semester training her teammates on a correct approach, one thing is clear: She wants to lead. After returning for a fourth semester, her focus is centered around her team’s performance.

“I used to train for about six hours a week,” Pascual said. “Being a captain, I just don’t have time for that anymore. The team is more important.”

Pascual has shifted her time and resources into the team itself, which has had a profound effect, teammate Emiri Vithoontien said. This past semester, the team traveled to nationals, a feat which they have not accomplished in more than 10 years.

“I think the close-knit team is the reason why we made it to nationals,” Vithoontien, a junior on the team, said. “All of us would be cheering for one another during matches, supporting one another, giving advice.”

In past years, previous captains focused on practice, but Pascual’s blueprint is focused on team bonding. She’s made an effort to connect with every single member of the squad, which has contributed to the team’s success, Pascual said. Instead of smothering her teammates with practices and drills, Pascual has set aside time for social gatherings.

“I love taking in freshman onto the team,” Pascual said. “They are the perfect members because they are the ones that will be here when I’m gone. They are going to have to keep things rolling.”

Pascual has also excelled in coaching. Her teammate, Luca Di Napoli, said people will always listen to what Pascual says — on and off the court.

One thing Pascual tells players is that their approach has been a major flaw. Addressing the weakness can be beneficial to the team’s mental capacity in between points and help them in scenarios when they’re down a point or a game.

“I think I have done a great job at maturing in my style of coaching,” Pascual said. “I am always learning on how to better direct our players, and I think it has benefited the team greatly.”

Now in her last semester, Pascual has juggled teaching her teammates what still needs to be fixed and bringing her and SU back to nationals. She knows she’s not the best player on Syracuse anymore, but her goals have changed. Pascual wants her team to play better and be ready for next year without her.

“When I was a freshman, I would always try to go for that big hit,” said Pascual. “Whether I was hitting or missing, I would always go for it, and I see now that I cannot do that. I can’t try to be a hero.”